Children should be given the freedom to explore themselves, share their ideas through different play activities. Learning through play can help them explore about themselves, people and world around them. By giving them endless play time; we are giving them the space to explore that helps them find solutions to problems through creative thinking. For them, playing and learning are two sides of the same coin. The play classes develop your child’s motor skills, physical development, mental development, social skills, etc. Now a day’s kids are spoon fed with swimming classes, coaching classes, dance and music classes that they do not even know how to play with a doll. That creates an unimaginative life around them.
Benefits of Boosting Your Child’s Imagination
Play is a powerful tool that helps in mastering new skills without much stress. Discover your child’s real self, through his imaginations and creativity. Boosting a child’s imagination helps them gain the following skills according to Helene Goldnadel.
- Gain social skills – While they play with people around them, they learn about relationships among people and how to behave with elders. Playing tent or house, they learn about a parent’s affection for their child. They also develop empathy and care for others. They also learn to adjust with any situation and develop self-confidence.
- Develop language skills – Kids who do a lot of talking while playing develop appropriate sentence structure and excellent communicative skills.
- Gains intellectual development – Those who do a lot of imagination will learn to think symbolically. This will help in the child’s over all development.
- Builds self-confidence – Playing police and thief, they work out of their fears and develop self-confidence and becomes bold. They also becomes aware of the social injustices.
- Develop motor skills – Dancing to music, art and craft, all enhances their motor skills which help them to do any activity easily.
How to Nurture Your Child? Sending kids to dance classes or art classes cannot boost their imagination. Just be a play mate for them which is more than enough. Play cars or mommy and daddy with them, Smash and bash the cars along with him. Now see his imagination flowing out. It is time to think out of the box.
Monitor your kids carefully while they play and know their interest and help them develop that. Give them more opportunities to try out new things like art and craft, outdoor play, sports, music, or provide them with materials like scissors, play dough, color papers or color pencils that might interest them. Help them come out with their own imagination. Never discourage them when they are up to do something creative and add fuel to their learning curiosity.
Learning Through Play
Only a child with imaginative skill can play well as playing needs imagination. So what can be done to boost a child’s imagination? Read stories for them and ask them to do character play of the story, take them to picnics, trip to a zoo, or beach to give them new experience. Dance to music along with them or read books for them. Always place a box of crayons, scissors, craft paper, gum, paints, on the kids table so that they can use them whenever they want to explore their imagination. Allow to play with water or sand and give them ample time to create wonderful things from their imagination. They can develop a sense of achievement and self-confidence from each successful invention.